Friday, November 7, 2008

First Half Predictions and What to Do with Your NFL Time Machine


If I had a time a special NFL time machine, the first thing I would do is go back 9 weeks to figure out what in the world I was thinking when I made my NFL first-half predictions. Next I would head about three months into the future and check the results of the 2008 NFL season and be seriously tempted to drop my life savings on a 20-team parlay. Of course, I’d resist said temptation because I know it would result in the early retirement of Eddie Utah and the abandonment of the Tuesday’s 12th Man Page. Here are the top three questions that I'd like to discuss with Eddie from 9 weeks ago:

1. Is there any logical reason why I would pick Kansas City to beat Tennessee in Week 7? Seriously? With Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard listed as the top two quarterbacks on the depth chart at the beginning of the season? I have nothing to say here. [Hanging my head in shame.]

2. New coach plus rookie quarterback equals disaster, right? Not in Atlanta or Baltimore in 2008. The Ravens number two ranked defense (in yards per game) has helped support Joe Flacco and the NFL’s number one ranked rushing team has a lot to do with Matt Ryan’s success in Atlanta.

3. Why in the world would I ever think a guy with a bulging disc could lead a group of receivers he found on the street to seven wins. Terrell Owens might have said, “You wanna line up and play receiver, we’ll play witchyou.” In fact, that’s not far off from what the Seahawks actually did—adding players like Billy McMullen (who?!) and Koren Robinson. As for Hasselbeck’s back, I HAVE A BULGING DISC! I know what it feels like and how limiting and debilitating it can be. It was fanciful to think that such an injury would have no effect on Matt’s production.

No comments: