Wednesday, September 17, 2008

K-Rob Comes Full Circle

The Seahawks’ latest wide-receiver signing is a former first round draft pick…of the Seahawks. Koren Robinson, who was cut by the Seahawks four years ago after repeated bouts with alcoholism has now been sober for over two years and Tim Ruskell is giving him a second shot based on thorough research that included testimony from Mike Holmgren and Matt Hasselbeck. The Seahawks believe Robinson when he says that his family (a wife, 2 boys and a girl on the way) and devotion to God have helped him grow up and turn his life around.

Most of my memories of Koren’s time with the Seahawks involve me screaming at the television and wishing that I could show him how to properly catch a ball with his hands. The 2004 season when he and Darrell Jackson had that contest to see who could drop the most balls had to include some of the most infuriating moments for a Seahawks fan. I think Koren understands:

"I want to apologize to my fans up here in Seattle, and apologize to Coach Holmgren and my teammates…I was selfish…I wasn’t looking at me being a role model. I wasn’t looking at the great opportunity I had. I wasn’t thinking about the people who would give an arm and a leg to be in my shoes. I wasn’t looking at that. I feel like I’ve righted my wrongs. I’ve prayed for this, and I’m happy I have another opportunity to come up here and play ball."

Well, he didn’t mention anything about the dropped balls, but I’m going to go ahead and assume that he was apologizing for those too. And Koren, because these are such desperate times for the Seahawks, I accept your apology.

Yesterday I talked about how the Seahawks could really use a top-notch Pro Bowl receiver. Could Koren be that guy? He has been named to one Pro Bowl, albeit as a kick-returner. Perhaps this new opportunity will allow him to more fully realize his potential. And I'd definitely love to see that. But even if he doesn’t catch a single pass, it’s still a great story--a recovering alcoholic has overcome his addictions by turning to God and turning to family. He should be celebrated--whether he's scoring touchdowns or not.

No comments: